Thursday, January 06, 2005

"I'll take hypocrisy for $400, Alex"

An Open Letter To Vietnam Protesters

Ok, so with a user name like Sgt Rich, I'm either a cop or I'm in the military, right? Yep. The latter.

That having been said, I'm going to ruffle some people's feathers with this, but that may be a good thing.

Since 9/11, the public outcry for support of the men and women in the armed services has been not only appreciated but a welcome switch. It's not that before then I felt as though we were being "dumped on," by any means. The indifference was the same as public support of most any other profession.

Anyone seen a "Support Our Teachers" ribbon lately?

Now it is not only common for people in high places to show support for the troops, it has become chic. This is where my nausea begins.

I don't mean to bite the hand that feeds me, but how hypocritical is it for an American society to embrace my generation of servicemembers but shun our father's generation as they returned home from Vietnam?

Here are the main differences. First off, the ignorant pricks (many of whom were draft dodgers) on the Left who compare the Iraq and Afghanistan wars to Vietnam need to shut up.

Now.

News flash- We were attacked. Remember the really big buildings that used to be in Manhattan? They were really close to each other and looked a lot alike? Have you seen them lately?

I understand that there was some gnashing of teeth when it comes to our entry into Iraq and how things have gone since then, but David Letterman made a great point on his show one night a while back when interviewing some political figure (I forget which one ...) He said something to the effect of, "Whether you agree with the war or not, as soon as the first shot is fired, shut up. That's enough debate. That's real people who are losing their lives, and the least you can do is support them."

How true and thoughtful from a man who has never served a day in the military. On the other side of the coin are those who use their service to their own personal gain, to say for instance run for office, even though their own service records were greatly exaggerated. Worse than that is the audacity to blab your big fat freakin mouth to congress- making yourself the puppet for "le resistance" while your shipmates are under fire. Imagine how that would have made you feel, you insensitive prick. And you want to be the Commander in Chief of the Armed Services?

Right.

Oh, and Johnny ... would it have killed you to get a haircut? Seriously. Cinderella called. She needs her mop back.

Now for the draft. The men who were plucked from their homes, dorms, jobs, etc. became the face on the target of the American hate machine directed at those who were simply following orders. The same dolts that wore peace signs and dropped tabs of acid while singing anti-war songs around the campfires forgot their passivity when the wounded broken soldiers returned home. Then suddenly they were spitting on the soldiers, beating them, cussing them, and worst of all- those in the position to do so often refused to hire them.

Are you kidding me? How can you be so ungrateful to sit in your fat recliner stuffing chips and beer in your face while your fellow men and women bleed and die in a war most did not ask to go to, then chastise them for not being as cowardly as you? Those of you who did this should have spat on yourselves.

Flash to modern day, when people are giving us free stuff, support and gratitude. Mostly, I feel like this is the way people who mistreated the Vietnam vets are making nice with their conscious about how idiotic they were when they were younger. Guess what- no matter how nice you are to me, it won't make up for it.

Here's why: I chose to be in the military!

Gasp!

Don't be nice to me. I made a choice to make less per year than most teenagers can make delivering pizzas. I made a choice to give up some of my ambitions so you won't have to give up yours. I chose to live in an environment where at any moment I could be sent to somewhere neither of us has ever heard of.

I don't come to your office and thank you for choosing to be whatever it is you are, so spare me the same patronizing crap. Here's a thought- go find some of the disabled Vietnam vets and thank them. Don't know where to find them? I've included a few starting points for you.

Thanks for your support and appreciation, but save mine for those who deserve it. The nicest thing you can do for me is take a disabled vet out for a meal (maybe even just coffee) and listen to him. Be interested in what he went through. Let him tell his stories. Let him cry in front of you. Be a friend to him, because here's a funny thing- many vets only have other vets for friends. Most of all, remember that it's never too late to do the right thing. Just be sure to send your appreciation in the right direction.

www.vva.org
www.dav.org
www.vfw.org

3 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://dsxnkclo.com/bmaa/hunc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://kpgczlnu.com/iyrh/jvch.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://dsxnkclo.com/bmaa/hunc.html | http://gqthgpza.com/vzvt/xpee.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home